28 December 2024

COAT OF ARMS OF CANBERRA were granted by Royal Warrant on 8 October 1928 to the Federal Capital Commissioners and their successors. The City of Canberra was granted its Coat of Arms on 7 November 1928. The Coat of Arms is protected against unauthorised use by the City of Canberra Arms Act 1932. The mace of the Australian Parliament, the sword of justice and the white rose are shown on the shield of Canberra’s Coat of Arms, above and below the three‑towered “capital” castle. The white rose commemorates the contribution by the Duke of York (later to become King George VI) in opening the Commonwealth Parliament in Canberra on 9 May 1927. On a wreath above the shield, is a crowned portcullis (gate) representing Canberra’s links with Westminster, the British seat of government. A gum tree is seen behind the portcullis and represents the growth of the garden city. The original Latin motto, “Pro Rege Lege et Grege” has been altered to “For the Queen, the Law, and the People”. The supporters are a pair of swans, one black and the other white, symbolising First Nations Australians and European Australians. There is no Territory badge~08

Comment